Jun 13, 2008

End of another chapter

It just seems yesterday to me when for the very first time I stepped in the Department of Chemical and Process Engineering. I still remember every second of my PhD interview with Dr Nigel Russell and the short chat with former head of the Department (Prof Michael Hounslow). More than seven years has passed from that day and now it is time for me to leave the Department. During these years I learned many things and I made many friends. Some of them graduated and/or left CPE and the rest are still in the Department. I spent most of my time in the Department and I can say CPE was my first home for the past seven years as I spent more time in my office than in my flat!

I would like to use this opportunity to thank all of them, for their support, their time and their help which without them I couldn’t get my PhD and continue my career as post-doctoral researcher. I would like to thank my supervisor and friend Dr. Nigel Russell for his major role in my success. His great sense of humour, unflappability and patience brought a sense of much needed sanity in times of stress. He has been a great support for me in all these years. I express my sincere gratitude for having given me the opportunity to work with him.

My special thanks to Prof. Will Zimmerman for his priceless advices. His many years of research experience work meant he is a limitless resource of engineering and science knowledge. I was inspired by him during my work. He changed my perspective to engineering and science and I learned how to engineer the science under his supervision.

Million thanks to Prof. Agba Salman for passing my PhD application to Nigel and for his priceless support in these years. My thanks to Prof. Vida Sharifi and Dr. Robert Edyvean for their support and advice.

Also I would like to thank Dr Russell Hand and Dr Phil Ward which I had the privilege to work with them for the past two years.

For their kindness assistance and advice, super thanks are also due to Richard Stacey, Andy Fairburn, Dean Haylock, Ian Watts, Mike O'Meara, David Palmer, Andy Patrick, Keith Penny, Maria Soto, Louise Cowling, Natalie Swallow, Michael White, Christine Wilkinson, Oz McFarlane and the rest of the staff of CPE. With no doubt I could not do anything without their help.

Many thanks are also due to Dr Buddhi Hewakandamby which my computer and network worked smoothly without any problem in the past seven years. My thanks to the rest of them especially Dr Brian O'Sullivan , Dr David Poole, Dr Robert Bachmann, Dr Amjad Shaikhfor, Dr Bobby Assiddiq, Kieran Baker, Ibrahim El-Azizi, Karen Finney, Paul Gilbert, Zakaria Mirza, Marie Taylor, Gareth Barns, Jess Bastock, John Heneghan, Bennett Nwaobi, Hamid Pouran, Ammar Razak, Hayley Castlehouse and Winson Chung for making the department’s atmosphere friendly and pleasant.

I will miss all of them.

End.